Ly Son Island is a hidden gem in Vietnam that is often overlooked by tourists. Situated off the coast of Quang Ngai province, Ly Son is a small island that offers pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and a unique cultural experience.
Getting to Ly Son Island is an adventure in itself. One of the most popular ways to reach the island is by motorbike from Hoi An, which is about 110 kilometers away. The journey is scenic, with stunning views of the coastline and picturesque countryside. However, the narrow and winding roads can be challenging for inexperienced riders, so caution is advised.
Once you reach the island, you will be greeted by a serene and tranquil atmosphere. The island is known for its beautiful beaches, such as To Vo Beach and An Binh Beach, which are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and snorkeling. The island’s crystal-clear waters are also home to a diverse range of marine life, making it an ideal destination for diving enthusiasts.
In addition to its natural beauty, Ly Son Island is also rich in culture and history. The island is home to several ancient temples and pagodas, including the Hang Pagoda, which dates back to the 17th century. Visitors can also explore the island’s unique cuisine, which is known for its fresh seafood and local specialties such as garlic and onion.
Overall, Ly Son Island is a must-visit destination for travelers who are looking for a unique and authentic experience in Vietnam. Its pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and rich culture make it a hidden gem that is waiting to be discovered.
Detailed plan for traveling from Hoi An to Ly Son Island by motorbike
- Start early in the morning, preferably around 7 am, to give yourself enough time to reach Ly Son Island.
- Motorbike rental Hoi An from Anh Khoa Shop. Make sure to inspect the bike and take pictures of any damages before renting it.
- Pack necessary items, including sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, a raincoat, a first aid kit, a phone charger, and a small luggage bag or backpack.
- Check your route on Google Maps and make sure you have a clear idea of the direction and estimated travel time.
- Head towards National Route 1A and follow it until you reach Tam Ky City.
- Take Highway 24B towards Quang Ngai City.
- From Quang Ngai City, take Highway 1A to Sa Ky Port.
- At Sa Ky Port, take a ferry to Ly Son Island.
- Once you reach Ly Son Island, check into your pre-booked accommodations, and rest for the night.
- After breakfast, explore the island on your motorbike. Some popular tourist attractions on Ly Son Island include Hang Pagoda, Cau Cave, and To Vo Gate.
- Take a break and enjoy some local seafood dishes for lunch.
- In the afternoon, head towards Thanh Hoa Beach and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Return to your accommodations in the evening, and rest for the night.
- Wake up early and catch the first ferry back to Sa Ky Port.
- Take Highway 1A to Quang Ngai City.
- From Quang Ngai City, take Highway 24B to Tam Ky City.
- Follow National Route 1A back to Hoi An.
- Return the motorbike to the rental shop and settle any outstanding fees.
- End the trip with some local food and drinks in Hoi An.
Note: The above itinerary is subject to change depending on your preferences and travel time. Make sure to check road conditions and weather forecasts
The best time to visit Ly Son Island
The weather on Ly Son Island is tropical, with two distinct seasons: the rainy season (from September to February) and the dry season (from March to August).
The best time to visit Ly Son Island is during the dry season, when the weather is sunny and pleasant. This is also the peak tourist season, so expect the island to be busier and accommodation prices to be higher.
- From March to May, the weather is mild and comfortable, with temperatures ranging from 25°C to 30°C. This is a great time to visit if you want to avoid the crowds and enjoy the island’s natural beauty.
- From June to August, the weather is hot and humid, with temperatures reaching up to 35°C. This is the peak season for tourism, as the weather is ideal for beach activities and water sports. However, be prepared for larger crowds and higher prices during this time.
- From September to February, the weather is cooler and wetter, with occasional typhoons and heavy rains. This is the low season for tourism, and while the island may be less crowded, some activities and attractions may be closed due to weather conditions.
In summary, the best time to visit Ly Son Island is during the dry season (March to August), when the weather is sunny and pleasant. However, if you want to avoid the crowds and enjoy a more peaceful atmosphere, consider visiting in the shoulder seasons (March to May or September to November).
Attractions in Ly Son Island
Ly Son Island is a beautiful and tranquil destination that offers a variety of attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the top attractions in Ly Son Island:
- To Vo Gate: This is a natural arch rock formation on the northern coast of the island, which is a popular spot for photography and sunset viewing.
- An Binh Beach: This is one of the most popular beaches on Ly Son Island, with crystal-clear waters and soft white sand. It’s a great place for swimming, sunbathing, and snorkeling.
- Thoi Loi Mountain: This mountain is located in the center of the island and is the highest point on Ly Son Island. It’s a popular spot for hiking and offers panoramic views of the island.
- Hang Pagoda: This is an ancient pagoda that dates back to the 17th century and is located in the village of An Vinh. The pagoda is built into a cave and features intricate carvings and statues.
- Duc Pagoda: This is another ancient pagoda on the island, located on the western side of the island. The pagoda offers stunning views of the sea and is known for its peaceful atmosphere.
- Garlic and Onion Fields: Ly Son Island is famous for its garlic and onion production, and visitors can explore the fields and learn about the cultivation and harvesting process.
- Be Island: This small island is located just off the coast of Ly Son Island and is accessible by boat. It’s a great place for snorkeling and swimming, with clear waters and coral reefs.
Overall, Ly Son Island offers a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and outdoor activities that make it a must-visit destination for travelers in Vietnam.
Where to stay in Ly Son Island?
Ly Son Island offers a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. Here are some of the top places to stay on the island:
- Minh Kieu Homestay: This is a popular homestay on the island, located in the village of An Vinh. The homestay offers clean and comfortable rooms with modern amenities and a friendly atmosphere.
- Muong Thanh Luxury Ly Son Hotel: This is a luxury hotel located in the town of An Hai, offering spacious and stylish rooms with ocean views. The hotel also features a restaurant, pool, and spa.
- Nhat Minh Hotel: This is a mid-range hotel located in the town of An Vinh, offering clean and comfortable rooms with basic amenities. The hotel also has a restaurant and a rooftop terrace with sea views.
- Homestay An Binh: This is a charming homestay located near An Binh Beach, offering simple and cozy rooms with traditional decor. The homestay also has a restaurant and a garden.
- Backpacker Hostel Ly Son: This is a budget-friendly hostel located in the town of An Vinh, offering dormitory and private rooms with basic amenities. The hostel also has a common area and a rooftop terrace.
No matter where you choose to stay on Ly Son Island, you will be surrounded by stunning natural beauty and a peaceful atmosphere.
What’s to eat in Ly Son Island?
Ly Son Island is known for its fresh seafood and unique local cuisine, which combines flavors from the sea and the land. Here are some of the top dishes to try when visiting Ly Son Island:
- Garlic Salad (Goi Toi): This is a refreshing salad made with fresh garlic, herbs, and peanuts, dressed with a tangy sauce.
- Grilled Squid (Muc Nuong): Fresh squid is grilled over charcoal and served with a dipping sauce made with soy sauce, lime juice, and chili.
- Sea Urchin Porridge (Chao Hau): This is a savory porridge made with rice, broth, and fresh sea urchin, topped with chopped scallions and cilantro.
- Ly Son Garlic Fried Rice (Com Chien Toi Ly Son): This is a fragrant fried rice dish made with local garlic, shrimp, and scallions.
- Seafood Hotpot (Lau Hai San): This is a hearty and flavorful hotpot made with a variety of fresh seafood, vegetables, and noodles.
- Ly Son Garlic Bread (Banh Mi Toi Ly Son): This is a crispy and flavorful bread made with local garlic and served with a variety of fillings, such as grilled pork or shrimp.
- Oyster Soup (Canh Hao): This is a simple and comforting soup made with fresh oysters, ginger, and scallions.
Overall, Ly Son Island offers a delicious and unique culinary experience that is sure to satisfy any food lover.
What is the best restaurant in Ly Son?
Ly Son Island offers a variety of restaurants serving delicious local cuisine. Here are some of the best restaurants to try when visiting Ly Son Island:
- Quang Linh Seafood Restaurant: This is a popular seafood restaurant located in An Vinh village, offering a wide range of fresh seafood dishes, including grilled squid, steamed clams, and seafood hotpot.
- Ly Son Restaurant: This is a family-owned restaurant located in An Vinh village, serving delicious local specialties such as garlic salad, garlic fried rice, and seafood hotpot.
- Phong Lan Restaurant: This is a seafood restaurant located in the town of An Hai, offering a wide range of fresh seafood dishes, including grilled prawns, steamed clams, and seafood hotpot.
- Huyen Trang Restaurant: This is a popular restaurant located in An Vinh village, serving a variety of local specialties such as oyster soup, sea urchin porridge, and garlic bread.
- Hai San Vi Restaurant: This is a seafood restaurant located in the town of An Hai, offering a wide range of fresh seafood dishes, including grilled squid, steamed scallops, and seafood hotpot.
Overall, these restaurants offer a delicious and authentic taste of Ly Son Island’s local cuisine, and are definitely worth a visit when exploring the island.
How many way to Ly Son island from Hoi An
There are two main ways to travel from Hoi An to Ly Son Island:
- By motorbike: You can rent a motorbike in Hoi An and ride to Quang Ngai City, then take a ferry from Sa Ky Port to Ly Son Island. The distance between Hoi An and Sa Ky Port is about 100 kilometers, and the ferry ride takes about 1.5-2 hours.
- By bus: You can take a bus from Hoi An to Quang Ngai City, and then transfer to another bus that will take you to Sa Ky Port. From there, you can take a ferry to Ly Son Island. The bus ride from Hoi An to Quang Ngai City takes about 2-3 hours, and the bus ride from Quang Ngai City to Sa Ky Port takes about 1-2 hours. The ferry ride takes about 1.5-2 hours.
Some tips for experience Hoi An to Ly Son Island by Motorbike
If you are planning to travel from Hoi An to Ly Son Island by motorbike, here are some tips to help you plan your trip:
- Check the weather: Before you embark on your trip, check the weather forecast to ensure safe and comfortable riding conditions. Avoid traveling during rainy or stormy weather, as the roads may become slippery and dangerous.
- Plan your route: Plan your route in advance and make sure to have a good understanding of the road conditions, traffic rules, and regulations. Avoid traveling at night and always wear a helmet for safety.
- Bring necessary documents: Bring all necessary documents, including your passport, driver’s license, registration, and insurance documents. Make sure to have valid insurance coverage for your motorbike.
- Pack essential items: Pack essential items such as water, snacks, sunscreen, insect repellent, and first-aid kit. It is also a good idea to bring a map, a compass, and a mobile phone with a fully charged battery.
- Be respectful: When visiting local communities and attractions, be respectful of the local culture and traditions. Dress appropriately and ask for permission before taking photos.
- Plan for accommodations: Plan for accommodations in advance, especially if you plan to stay overnight on Ly Son Island. There are various options, including hotels, hostels, and homestays, so choose one that fits your budget and preferences.
- Enjoy the journey: The journey from Hoi An to Ly Son Island is a scenic and exciting one, so take the time to enjoy the beautiful landscapes, meet local people, and sample the delicious local cuisine. Take breaks as needed and make the most of your adventure!